Monday, February 24, 2014

Fashion from Coast to Coast

As I have traveled across America for dog shows, I have noticed that fashion tends to vary from region to region.   I'm packing for the Fiesta Cluster in Scottsdale, Arizona this weekend, I realize I often pack clothes based on where I'm going.  The vibrant colors of the amazing desert sunsets make me want to bring brightly colored clothes to Arizona!  This weekend is supposed to begin with great weather and then turn to rain (urgh I know we need it, but I cannot stand the smell of wet dog).  So be prepared Fiesta Cluster bound people!



East Coast

When I think about the East Coast, I think about about Ralph Lauren.  I think about American Classics out in the country.  Conservative silhouettes with amazing boots for outside shows, is how I picture an East Coast Lady in the ring.  The young people give the impression of Prep School style with polo shirts and blazers and all the plaid you can imagine.  I think East Coasters follow the "Fashion Rules" such as no white shoes after Labor Day more than anywhere else.  They are fantastic at layering.
BUT, I also see East coast style as very chic with clean, structural lines that are straight from the designers sewing machines.  Lots of blacks, whites, grays and blues dominate the colors of the Big City with pops of other accent colors.

The South

So typical, but I think of Gone With the Wind, big parties, spring garden parties and Southern Belles.  As you move from the East Coast to the South, I picture lighter clothes and pretty pastels with floral patterns.  These fashions may not be as visible in dog show attire, but I have seen many suits with beautiful floral patterns and in lovely pastel colors.  People are dressed very proper and keep the Southern Gentleman and Southern Belle image alive in the ring.  The fashion can also be easy, care free and vintage looking, as if they stepped out of a movie.

Texas
Everything is bigger in Texas and that's one reason it has a style all its own!  When I visit Texas (and Oklahoma for that matter) I always bring the accessories.  These women are dressed to impress from head to toe.  Razzle and dazzle with shine and bling, and that's just the clothes!  The accessories kick up every suit and outfit to make a statement.  The flip side of the "stand out in a crowd" look is more Bohemian.  Creams and denim rock with awesome Western belts and boots, mixed with jade jewelry, let us "foreigners" know we're in Texas.

Pacific Northwest

The Pacific Northwest is very rugged and relaxed with their fashion, in my opinion.  I think of vests and skirts with boots (okay, rain boots) when I go up there.  Greens and blues are colors of choice and, hey, look at their sports team's (IE Mariners and Seahawks) colors.  The puffer jackets and vests look great with flared or pencil skirts and fun tights.  Oh, and the scarves!  They all know how to wear the big, thick, interesting patterned scarves and make them look so good!  

California
I think everywhere else is pretty set in their fashion style around the country, but California has no rules.  In California it is typical to see white shoes after Labor Day and bright vibrant florals during winter months.  Colors rule and the brighter the better, especially in Southern California.  Northern California is a little more climate conscious and in some ways, I feel it has a little East Coast flare.  I think in California, you really have it all in fashion, from Bohemian to surfer to Rodeo Drive to girl next door to biker babe and everything in between. 



As I travel across the nation, to the different regions, I have found that fashion tends to travel along those regional lines as well.  I have shared my take on those fashion regions. Please share your thoughts and observations on regional dress, both in the "real world" and in our dog show world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment