Saturday, November 12, 2016

Staying on Trend....with Class

I have been absent from blogging and I apologize. During this absence the one request for a blog I am asked over and over again is write about the dress of young and teenager handlers. Now I realize I'm in that category and yes, I acknowledge I have worn things that may have been to short or tight and I regret that now. I regret those wardrobe choices because I've grown up and learned my audience - what type of person attending, exhibits, and judges dog shows.


I am not trying to look cute for date. I am not dressed to go to a bar or a club. I am not hanging out with friends of my own age. I am in front of parents, grandparents, children where tight, short skirts and plunging necklines should be left at home.

Don't just listen to me, here's a story a male judge once told me about ladies fashion choices.  While he judges Junior Showmanship he watches the Junior set up their dog (this was before it became a rule) to see "how" they did this. I tried to thank him for taking the time to actually judge Juniors and their handling ability. He stopped me before I was able to finish my thank you. He said, "I could be these girls' grandfather." I wasn't following where he was going with this message. I see some of these girls who are dressed like they could be my wife and others I simply cannot watch. He told me of one time he actually turned his back on a Junior while she was setting up her dog. He had to do this because she was a minor and he was an adult but her top was so low and skirt so shirt he had to morally avert his eyes.




Let's think about that - one hand Junior girls are dressed like they could be the wife of the average male Judge, on the other hand these girls are dressed so inappropriately a male judge can't watch a minor show their dog.

So what do we do? Wear age appropriate clothes and check fit. If a teenager would be embarrassed wearing their show clothes in front of their school for an award ceremony or similar event then maybe it's too old for them. If you cannot wear your show clothes to church or in front of your grandparents then maybe it's to sexy. Consider you audience and your age.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adrienne, I'm so glad you're back to blogging about what to wear at dog shows. I'll be quoting you, so keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete